Sunday, February 26, 2012

Learning Theories Reflection

As this Learning Theories and Instruction course draws to a close, I would like to reflect on what I have learned. I would like to discuss one thing that I found interesting in how people learn and how this course has deepened my understanding of my personal learning. I will also discuss what I have learned regarding the connection between learning theories, learning styles, educational technology, and motivation, and how my learning will help further my career in instructional design.

One thing that I found surprising in this course was that although there are many different theories of how people learn, people usually do not fit into just one category but are a combination of them, especially for adults. (Cercone, 2008) Cercone (2008) stated “each person is an individual”. Since everyone learns differently, as an instructional designed I will need to plan my classes according to my students and their process of learning. I should vary my teaching utilizing a variety of methods in order to reach the most students.

This course opened my eyes to the various learning theories, of which I was unaware. I can see that my personal learning cannot be narrowed down to just one theory as it depends on the type of learning with which I am presented. Gilbert and Swanier (2008) states that learning styles can fluctuate across concepts. Some things I learn more by behavioristic methods with a change in behavior from a stimulus-response association (Standridge, 2001). Other things I learn more from a cognitivist method where I am very structured and the information learned is organized and stored in memory (Ertmer & Newby, 1993).

A good instructional designer should know his/her students and how they best learn. To do that, one needs to know a little about the learning theories and styles of learning and then use technology to best get that across to the students. Motivation is key to keep the students engaged in order for learning to take place.

As Stephen Pew quoted Albert Einstein “I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn” (Pew, 2007). This is what I hope to take with me in my career. I want to be able to make learning fun so they stay motivated and learn what they need no matter how they best learn.

References
(Cercone K 2008 Characteristics of adult learners with implications for online learning design)Cercone, K. (2008). Characteristics of adult learners with implications for online learning design. AACE Journal, 16(2), 137-159. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Reader.ViewAbstract&paper_id=24286

(Ertmer P A Newby T J 1993 Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective)Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 6(4), 50-71.
(Gilbert J Swanier C 2008 Learning styles: How do they fluctuate?)Gilbert, J., & Swanier, C. (2008). Learning styles: How do they fluctuate? Institute for Learning Styles Journal, 1, 29-40. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~witteje/ilsrj/Journal%20Volumes/Fall%202008%20Volume%201%20PDFs/Learning%20Styles%20How%20do%20They%20Fluctuate.pdf

(Pew S 2007 Andragogy and pedagogy as foundational theory for student motivation in higher education)Pew, S. (2007). Andragogy and pedagogy as foundational theory for student motivation in higher education. InSight: A Journal of Scholarly Teaching, 2, 14-25.
(Standridge M 2001 Behaviorism)Standridge, M. (2001). Behaviorism. In M. Orey (Ed.), Emerging perspective on learning, teaching, and technology (p.1-7). Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/index.php?title=Behaviorism

No comments:

Post a Comment